Thursday, February 5, 2009

Windows 2000 reporting incorrect drive capacity

At work I restored a disk image I had saved from a previous Windows 2000 install onto a Dell Optiplex GX260.  Except I saved the image from a 20GB drive, and restored it onto a 40GB drive.  (Disk images saved and restored using Partimage.)  After I restored the image, Windows showed the C: drive as having a capacity of 20GB, but I knew it was more than that.  Here's what I tried:



  1. Ran chkdsk C: /f  which needs to be done after a restart.  No change.

  2. Updated the BIOS, and checked the drive capacity there.  It reported the drive capacity correctly.  No joy.

  3. Opened a recovery console using the Windows 2000 install CD and ran fixmbr.  But even when the drive capacity was correct in the MBR, still Windows reported it as only a 20Gb drive...

  4. Ran GParted off System Rescue CD 1.1.4.  The partition showed as the correct size there.  However, I noticed GParted had a "Check and repair" option, which I ran on the primary partition.  This finally did the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time and interest in this post!
Comments to this blog are sometimes moderated to prevent spam. Please don't be alarmed if your comment does not appear immediately.