Friday, August 14, 2009

Meet Our Newest Addition, "Nibbles"

Almost four years ago for my birthday, my family got me a betta fish I named "Herman Schnauzer."  He was a good fish, but this last week he took his last breath, and went to the happy swimming pool in the sky.  He almost made it four years with us.

This week at work, I've caught two mice!  One with the amazing, humane, "Mice Cube," which I highly recommend.  No one I've ever talked to has ever failed to make a catch with this trap.  This was my second with one.  But yesterday, we found the little toddler mouse whose mother we did away with the day before.  We found him wandering around under the desks in the daytime, the poor little guy.  I put a Cheeto out on the floor and he came out and grabbed it and ran back under the desk.  So I named him "Cheeto."  He came right out in to the open again, apparently not that afraid of all of us in the office who were watching, and I caught him with a cardboard box.  He was such a tiny, adorable, little mouse, I brought him home and was going to keep him; but the internet convinced me that it's not exactly safe to take a wild or house mouse as a pet.

So today I stopped by the pet store.  We still had Cheeto in his box, and I was thinking I would buy him a friend, and they had these cute little dwarf hamsters at the pet store.  So I bought one and brought it home.  The dwarf hamster is small but still over twice as large as Cheeto.  I ended up setting Cheeto free in our backyard.  And the hamster we named "Nibbles."  The pet store people agreed she is a girl.


Nibbles

This is her sleeping in the bottom tier of the Critter Universe Great Wall.  She can't jump at all, so she can't even make it up to the higher levels.  Cheeto would've done it no problem.

As I get older I think I'm realizing that I like animals, smaller ones generally, more than I realized.

1 comment:

Thank you for your time and interest in this post!
Comments to this blog are sometimes moderated to prevent spam. Please don't be alarmed if your comment does not appear immediately.